Sunday, November 8, 2015

DIY: LITTLE MERMAID DOLL


"Ariel, listen to me. A human world is a mess..." and by now you probably have a tropical melody of Under the Sea stuck in your head. That is if you were obsessed with little mermaid like yours truly here. It's no wonder I couldn't resist this awesome little DIY that I did based on ABM's project (they have a tutorial with patterns on their blog ready to download HERE) and I immediately knew I had to recreate it and add my own spin on it...

And I mean IMMEDIATELY! I looked around the house to find some materials but I knew I didn't have any skin toned or glitter fabric let along some cool buttons or even fabric glue. My scissors were broken and my sewing kit looked all messed up. It felt discouraging and I almost gave up. Instead, I looked harder.


I really did find some small leftovers of dark gray fabric and a glittery top that was ready to be given away. Gray didn't really work as a "skin color" so I used my acrylics to paint it light pink. I wanted to print out the patterns but my printer suddenly didn't cooperate. I had to place a paper on the screen of my laptop to draw over the lines. The laptop tho has a touch screen so the image kept moved around as I would accidentally touch it with my hand. I almost went nuts! Still, I managed to cut the patterns out with half broken scissors and I was ready to sew.

But you know what happened then? The acrylic paint dried and turned into a thick layer of plastic and it made super difficult to do any hand sawing. I did it anyway. After a while I was half done and it honestly looked horrible. I kept thinking that all this work was for nothing and that it just wasn't worth it. I was once again ready to give up.  But I didn't! I kept going.

Oh my, what a mess...
The next day I got some buttons and painted them green (they didn't have any "cool" ones at a local store store), I sewed in the red yarn on to give my mermaid nice thick hair and I pimped her up with nice jewelery.. Oh, and I painted here skin again and made eyes more suitable to her looks.

And that's how this little mermaid thought me not to give it up even if everything is going seems to be going against me. Dramatically speaking.. And when I look at her now I know - it was totally worth it! 。◕ ‿ ◕。


4 comments:

  1. I loved this on ABM and you did such a great job of making it your own!

    ♥Heather

    http://golddippedchaos.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute and great idea! Your princess is so cool :) I love t, thanks for sharing!

    Check out my blog if you want: www.theglamandglitter.com

    Tamara xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ♥ I most definitley will! :)

      Delete

Hello there kind reader and thank you for your comment!
Have a great day. 。◕ ‿ ◕。 - IVA