Wednesday, November 11, 2015

DIY: DOLL HAIR TUTORIAL



I couldn't be happier about a fellow crafters interest for this super easy process I used when making my mermaids hair. If you have no idea what I am talking about, you may want to check out my previous post with a cute DIY doll that I did based on ABM's tutorial.

My sewing skills are very basic and that's probably the reason why I looked for a simple solution in the first place. Granted my doll is rather small in size but I think this would work great with bigger dolls as well. I would use more yarn for each "hair lock" of course. This is just an example since the doll is already done but I sure hope it will help and save you some time!

So, I made two types of "hair locks" with red yarn. I just zig-zaged the yarn around my hands in approximate length to get them right. The first one I made thicker (thicker than the one showing on the photo, oops) and in the wanted length of my dolls hair (that part is up to you). The second one I made thinner and twice as long.


I knotted the first lock (the thicker one) at the end of one side in a simple knot like the one shown on the picture below. On the second lock I made a knot in the middle and I folded it in half. Next you will need to cut the edges off; one side of the first lock and both sides of the second one.


That's the preparation part done! The sewing part was easy. I sewed in the the tinnier hair locks around the face first by piercing the needle through the knot. No brainer there. 

Now, here's where I saved up a lot of time. The thicker locks I sewed in starting from the bottom of the head towards the top. I sewed them in by piercing through the knot first. But then I sewed in those little parts of  the same hair lock that were sticking out of the knot as well.  In no time I covered the whole head. This doesn't have to be perfect since it will be cover up later anyway. Get your messy out!


There were no bald spots, the hair looked really thick and I could move on to the next step. I sewed in the thinner hair locks (that were folded in half) above every thick lock. Sometimes I added an extra thinner lock randomly to make the hair look more realistic. But that's about it. You can see it on the photo below how much hair you can make with just two hair/yarn locks knotted and sewed in. 

1 + 1 = 50 ! 

And voila!


 

The hair ended up looking really thick and those little knots are not at all too visible - they get lost among all the yarn. And the big pieces ended up being covered underneath them. In the ended the hair making was the easies part of making this doll. If you read about my Mermaid DIY, you'll understand why. 。◕ ‿ ◕

Have a great day everybody and good luck! - IVA

2 comments:

  1. You are a genius. This has given me the fire to make more!!! The hair tripped me up because it took forever but also because it was so hard to drag the yarn and yarn needle through the fabric. This solves BOTH those issues. Craft hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stoked that I could help! Yay!!! Can't wait to see more of what you make. Thank you for your kind words, they have given me fire to craft more AND blog about it! (✿◠‿◠)

      Delete

Hello there kind reader and thank you for your comment!
Have a great day. 。◕ ‿ ◕。 - IVA